There are a number of studies that have shown that having a little fun or entertainment on the job can help boost or recharge the batteries of those who spend so many hours per week together. Personal experience for many of us can attest to this. When there is something fun to look forward to, or good memories to look back on in the workplace, it raises the energy among the workers.
| “Work is an activity generally performed out of ‘economic necessity’. Recreation on the other hand is useful to ‘recharge the battery’ so that work performance is improved.”
- AJ Agrawal, CEO of Alumnify
At any point, it could be worthwhile to take a side meeting away from the job and start planning something organized and fun together. This would be the first step where all of you are included in a conversation involving something other than work. If it is not expected, you could take a moment to surprise your team with an offer to spend a day together away from work doing something active and exciting and fun. There are many team-related activities that are more athletic or skill based and fun.
A couple of these include the following team-bonding and morale boosting activities1:
- Create a Company Coat of Arms – You simply need paper, writing and coloring utensils. Have teams create your company coat of arms. In the first space, draw something that represents a recent achievement. In the second space, draw something that reflects your company values. In the third space, draw something that represents where you see the company going in the future. Post the finished coat of arms in your office.
- Campfire/Memory Wall - Post-It notes or a whiteboard are the only supplies needed. Your team will write a few general work-related topics on the white board or on sticky notes posted to the wall: “My first day,” “Teamwork,” “Work travel,” etc. Gather your team and have everyone choose one of the topics and share a story from their time with your company to laugh and bond over shared experiences. Or, pass out sticky notes and have everyone write down positive memories of working together or special team accomplishments. They can use words or pictures to record these memories. Then have everyone share their memory and post it on the wall, forming a positive memory cloud.
- Office Trivia - 20-25 trivia questions about your workplace are created for communication and bonding. Looking for a quick and easy team building activity?Come up with a series of questions specific to your workplace and test your team’s knowledge. “What color are the kitchen tiles?” “How many people are in the IT department?” “How many windows are there in the entire office?” “What brand are the computer monitors?” “What month of the year is most common for birthdays among our employees?” This is a quick team building activity that tests how observant your team is.
- Community Service - A few hours out of the workday can bring your team together to work within the community. Both fun and giving! Participate in Adopt–a–Family programs during the holidays, organize a beach clean up, take on a community beautification project or other charity. Find an activity that appeals to your team or reflects your company values, get out of the office, and do some good for your community and your team.
And I have to say that there are so many more activities out there that you can take on or come up with among your team to enhance your bonding and productivity both inside and outside the workplace. There are athletic activities where you can simply spend a day away playing team sports together and getting to know one another. Perhaps you can schedule a monthly team gathering outside of business hours where communication will be invited and bonding will be enhanced. Team members become more of friends and supportive colleagues as they get to know one another little by little. Take a chance by looking at some of the links below, and make your team the best!
References: www.inc.com/aj-agrawal/how-having-fun-can-boost-employee-productivity.html, hbr.org/2016/01/how-to-boost-your-teams-productivity, www.huffingtonpost.com/alex-ivanovs/how-to-increase-team-prod_b_12004684.html, www.huffingtonpost.com/laura-stack/awesome-efficiency-five-ways-productivity_b_6724682.html, www.business2community.com/human-resources/7-ways-improve-team-efficiency-productivity-01545271#fJLs3rwBvgRejzIp.97, www.wrike.com/blog/how-to-increase-team-productivity/, www.wrike.com/blog/ultimate-guide-team-building-activities/